LA SPORTIVA released four new ski models for 2024—Capo, Tempo, Sorriso, and Salto – plus two new lightweight alpine touring boots – Kilo and Stratos Hybrid.
“When designing the 2024 ski collection, we set out with one question in mind: how do we make our skis lighter without sacrificing performance?” said Jonathan Lantz, president of La Sportiva North America.
“We found a unique combination of materials that helped to lighten these models by 20 percent without inhibiting their dampening ability. Our team found that the addition of D30, an innovative material used in crash protection pieces, helped eliminate chatter and improve overall performance.”
- The 110-waisted Sorriso, designed for speed and large arcs, features a minimal camber and a ‘dynamic’ wood core made of five different materials. Aluminium stringers and D30 inserts enhance responsiveness and dampness of the ski without increasing weight.
- The 103 mm underfoot Tempo, at 1400gm, has a 20% weight reduction and new materials, blending lightweight agility and stability. The Paulownia wood core is supported by full-length aluminium stringers and D30 dampening inserts in the tip and tail.
- For 2024, the Capo offers a new core construction similar to the Tempo. At 117 mm underfoot, the powder ski weighs 1550gm.
- The re-engineered Salto, with a 92mm waist and a weight of 1400 gm, is suited for big ski mountaineering with an extended edge, a poplar-infused core for edge hold and stiffness for descents and precise manoeuvres.
“As technology continues to improve, we have been able to push the boundaries of what lightweight ski boots can do,” added Lantz. “A perfect example of this is the Kilo, a one kg carbon-infused boot that provides amazing performance while skiing.”
- The Kilo is a lightweight boot tailored to the ski mountaineer looking to ‘maximize uphill performance without compromising downhill prowess.’ The boot’s design centres around the Grilamid Bio Based LF Carbon shell and cuff which provides ‘durability and stiffness without increasing weight.’
The Force Shell Closure System ensures ‘an optimal fit and ideal pressure distribution, while a new last accommodates a wide variety of foot shapes, with more space around the medial side of the ankle, in a package that weighs 1000g.’
- The Stratos Hybrid is a carbon-cuffed racing boot designed to meet the needs of demanding ski-mountaineering athletes. The boot weighs 730gm and features a seamless ski-walk mechanism from the Stratos boot.