Montane are recruiting for a Product Development Manager to work across our technical product range of apparel, backpacks and accessories. This is a hands-on role central to the product team which brings to life new designs and ideas and ensures on-time development and delivery of products on a seasonal basis.
Full time (37.5 hours/week)
- Create, manage and own the full seasonal product development timetable, from new range planning to bulk production, ensuring Product, Design, Sales and Buying teams are aligned and that all key calendar milestones are achieve by running regular critical path meetings with relevant teams.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager and Design Manager to understand seasonal commercial and design needs to ensure they can be executed through assessing product manufacture feasibility and applying effective cost engineering.
- Supervise the daily tasks of a team of technical staff, comprising Garment & Product Technologists and Quality Inspector, to carry out prototype development and production specification tasks.
- Lead sizing, grading and fit decisions across all product categories.
- Work with the Product Manager and Design Manager to own and manage the FOB costing process for all new developments, updates and carryover products.
- Act as the key product development point of contact for finished goods suppliers.
- Build relationships with existing and prospective suppliers and work with Buying functions to develop a 2-3 year rolling plan to ensure there is sufficient technical capability to accommodate production of SMS and bulk of planned ranges at acceptable cost. Conduct innovation and capability analysis of new suppliers where applicable.
- Lead or plan manufacturer visits for research, inspection and product development purposes.
- Recommend and implement x-costing of programmes/products where necessary.
- Work with the Product Manager to lead development of SMU/Exclusive products and special projects.
- Manage QC standards across all product areas and be responsible for monitoring, problem resolution and reporting.
- Assimilate customer service and quality feedback loops to ensure early identification of bulk quality problems, managing any required resolutions through a robust action plan.
- Keep abreast of up-to-date regulatory and safety compliance including labelling requirements and ensure these are addressed prior to product commercialisation.
This position would suit a candidate with 5+ years’ experience who has worked in a product development leadership/management role within the technical outdoor sector for at least 2 years and who can demonstrate the ability to bring multiple business functions together in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and proficiency managing Excel databases and will have the flexibility to travel internationally if required.
Montane is one of the fastest growing premium outdoor brands in Europe. Recent investment from Inverleith LLP will provide an acceleration of this growth and open new opportunities.
We specialise in creating technical clothing, backpacks and accessories for fast-paced mountain sports, where design and performance are of the highest quality.
We have a young, ambitious, dynamic team motivated by a love of the mountains and with a passion for producing exceptional products in line with our ‘Further. Faster.’ brand vision. We are represented in many territories around the world and have a head office in Northumberland and a showroom in the Lake District.
Application closing date: 5th October 2020
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org